Friday, April 12, 2013

Happy Birthday...To Me!


Today is my birthday!


I have no problem saying how old I am. I am now 42 years old.  And to be honest I can hardly believe I am that old. In my mind I am not that old. I am not sure how old I am but certainly not 42 years old

Age is a strange thing really. The old you get the faster life seems to get. A work friend once said to me as you age, life moves as fast as you are old. For example, when you are 6 years old your life is moving 6 kilometers/miles and hour BUT when you are 16 years old your life moves at a speed of 16 kilometers/miles per hour. And ...when you are 42 years old your life moves at a speed of 42 kilometers/miles an hour. It kind of explains why summers when you are a kids feel like they last forever and appear to get shorter the older you get.  This analogy makes me think about how we should savor every moment of every single day. It is so important but gets lost in the day to day stuff that consumes us. As life speeds up for me I often have to remind myself not to sweat the small stuff, don't worry about things that you can't change, embrace life, cherish the people I love in my life and just live my life every day. 

It reminds me about this video and the important of the gift of ordinary days by Katrina Kenison. We don't have to work to fill our lives with special days, exceptional moments because the special, exceptional moments happen every single day. They happen in those very ordinary days 



So, Happy Birthday to me! While I celebrate my special day, I recognize that every day is special. Make the most of it. I end with a line from the movie Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium  "Your life is an occasion. Rise to it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment