Friday, August 9, 2013

Jack Of All Trades....Master Of NONE!

Here is the Wikipedia definition of the phrase...

 "Jack of all trades, master of none" is a figure of speech used in reference to a person that is competent with many skills but is not necessarily outstanding in any particular one.

I have to admit  most days I feel like I am a jack of all trades, master of none, at home (being a mother and wife) and at work. I feel like I have become great at appearing like I have everything under control, that I know what I need to know and that I can do what I need to do and do it well. Isn't that my job after all, I am a Mom, a wife and a journalist/writer. Aren't I supposed to know it all, do it all and be all things to all people? NO, well that is honestly how it feels many days.

 
On the inside  I have to say lately I have been feeling like I am not doing a very good job at any of my jobs. I am competent at many skills but not necessarily outstanding at any particular one. I think it comes down to spreading myself too thin in all areas of my life.

At Home

I just don't feel like I am doing all that I want when it comes to my kids. Working evenings/nights I feel like I am missing out on so much of their lives. I miss soccer games, miss dinner with the family and I miss hanging out with them at night. I just feel like I am not doing enough as a Mom ( ya that darn mom guilt thing). And don't get me started on the house cleaning thing. It is just more than I can handle most days. I am clearly not outstanding at that.

 At Work (writing, blogging)

I feel like I have just been coasting these past many months. With so many things on the go, like my full time gig, the freelance writing, blogging and oh that teaching thing I do during the college year, I have just not been able to feel like I am rocking any of the jobs.


Am I being too hard on myself? Probably.

Should I give myself a break? Probably

How do I do that? 

I think my need to be in control of everything and wanting to do it all makes it hard to juggle all the things in my life right now. 

I am making a promise to do better, be better. This promise isn't really to others, it is a promise to myself. It is a promise to accept who I am, to give myself a break and to just be happy with the fact that I am a jack of all trades!

Will I be successful? I hope so but I am hopefully going to give myself permission to make a few mistakes and not be perfect. Feel free to check in on how I am doing. Feel free to ask me it might actually help me stay on track and not be so hard on myself.


How do you handle all of life throws at you at home and at work? How do you balance everything?

3 comments:

  1. I could use some motivation too! Maybe we could help keep each other on track?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always seems easier when you have a partner along the road

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment