Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mommy Feels Guilty

It never gets easier. Leaving for work. Leaving my kids everyday. It is the struggle of every working (out of home) mom.  You would think going to work every day would make it easier but it doesn't, to be honest I think it actually makes things worse.


It is hard for me but even harder for my kids. I would say at least one day a week one of my two girls cries and has a total meltdown when I have to leave for work. I makes me sad when they say "I miss you when you are gone", "we never get to see you". I try to explain to them why Mommy has to go to work but when it comes right down to it some of the things that I mention don't really matter. Will I regret not spending time with my girls? Will I regret it when they are older and don't want to hang out with me? You bet. I regret it now. I don't like to leave them. It isn't that they are in a bad place when I go to work though, they are with their grandparents, on both sides. They aren't even there for long since my husband picks them up on the way home from his job.

I am missing time with my kids. My kids are missing time with me. I am missing time with my husband. It is time to rethink things I think. There is only so much that can be sacrificed before the sacrifice isn't worth it any more.

5 comments:

  1. Today was another difficult day ...serious separation anxiety for my oldest. I thought it would get easier as they got older and I actually think it is getting harder for my oldest daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky that my kids don't seem to mind me working, but I only work part time. I work mostly nights, and I really do miss putting them to bed. I think right now leaving them is harder on me. Big Hugs to you and your girls. I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for your family soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your day today - I had a difficult day today , the guilt is killing me. I love my job but my oldest who is 5 said that she wishes she could come to work with me . When she says that it breaks my heart. I try to work when she is at School or when she is sleeping but building a business you almost have to work 24 hours. Where do you draw the line on the sacrifices we make. Then everytime I am in a room my one year old son , won't leave my side. So imagine trying to put on a business suit and making yourself all beautiful for hight net worth clients, while holding a little one year old with banana covered hands. So it is hard. I love my children and my husband with all my heart, I sometimes wonder if I have the strength to balance it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - thanks for your comment. I am sure it will all work its self out. We will find our way.

    Vanessa - guilt is a terrible thing. I understand your heartbreak. A mother's job is never easy. I am sure you will find balance, as will I, and find comfort in the fact that you are not alone. We are together in this struggle. I am here if you ever need to chat! I look forward to talking with you in the future!

    Thanks for the comments ladies

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was another difficult day leaving my oldest daughter....another blog post is coming I think. Obviously what I am doing isn't working so I think I need to come up with another technique, approach, tactic.

    Leaving a child who is crying and sad is just hard on everyone. Some days my youngest daughter comes to comfort my oldest while I leave.

    I would love to hear what you all have to say about this topic. What do you do to make leaving easier for your kids?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment