Monday, January 23, 2012

Escape Artist

So........it seems someone left the door of the hamsters cage open last night.



I put the kids to bed last night and come back down stairs to watch a bit of television....and....as I pass by the hamster cage I notice he is missing. Ya MISSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The front door was wide open and Fluffy was missing.

It was 9 p.m. So what do I do? Get the kids back up to help me look for the hamster. We looked... and looked... and looked... and looked. We looked under the fridge, we looked under the couch, in the mud room...and he was no where to be found. Sadly we could not find him and so I sent the kids to bed. It was a school night after all. Let's just say there was not much sleeping going on. The guilty culprit just couldn't settle. Every five minutes she called down to see if we found Fluffy. We hadn't.

And then.....at about 11:00 p.m., despite several previous checks, I spotted him....in the basement. Yup the basement. I have no idea how he got there and he clearly didn't have any idea how to get back up because he was sitting at the bottom of the basement stairs. He was staring up the stairs and shaking. I quickly grabbed some treats and the hamster carry case and slowly walked down the stairs. I worried that he might run away once he heard me coming so I tossed him a tasty treat and snatched him up. The escape artist was captured.

So I thought I would spare my daughter the agony of worrying about the hamster all night so I called her down to see him. Once she saw him she was smiling from ear to ear. She headed back up to bed and quickly feel asleep.

Crisis avert but it was certainly hard lesson to learn about taking care of a pet and really paying attention to what you are doing.




1 comment:

  1. One of our hamsters escaped one day and I had this flash of our cat finding him and then the kids finding the cat eating him. I went into overdrive

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment