Monday, April 12, 2010

OH WHERE HAVE THE YEARS GONE?

So it's my birthday today. I am not afraid to say I am 39 years old...or young...depending on the day and how I am feeling. I had a great day. I got to spend the day with my two girls and being a Mom, just like I am every other day.

It is amazing really when I think back when I was younger and how important it was to take the day off work and do something really exciting and fun on my birthday. Birthday's always had to be a big production. Oh,  how things have changed. Now it is more about spending time with family and friends. I love spending my birthday with my little girls. Children have a real joy for birthdays and it doesn't have anything to do with presents and cake ( although those are an important bonuses of birthdays). Children are just excited about the day, having a birthday is just exciting. This morning my youngest daughter jumped into my bed and said " What day is it Mommy. Is today your Birthday!?". I said " Yes today is my birthday" . My daughter said with pure joy "Hurray it's Mommy's birthday today." A great present for sure. There is so much simplicity with children. It's not fancy, but pure.

Another year has come and gone. I don't get sad about getting another year older. I don't have a problem with age but what I do have a problem with is the time that passes. For me it's all about those things that come and go, like the birth of my babies, all those sweet moments with my girls, not the big milestones but all those little things that happen every day that just pass us all by. I am sad that my little girls are almost too big to slip on to my lap and cuddle with me. I miss snuggling with a sweet smelling baby. You know the smell a little bit like baby power and sour milk all mixed together. It is all of those little things that keep moving, changing and passing me by that make me a little bit sad that my birthday has come once again.

This year has been a great year though. I feel like I have made a mental shift. I am more comfortable in my own skin and where I am in my life, probably more than I have ever been before. I think that is something that comes with age, the wisdom that comes with age ( not that I am old or anything)

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday!

    I am 5 years younger than you, but I hear you on birthdays getting quieter. I think it is a natural by-product of life with children. Your birthday is just not the big event, anymore.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment