Wednesday, April 7, 2010

WARW - Where The Wild Things Are

I love this book. Actually, I think I love this book more than my kids. It is a story that I have been reading to my kids for years. If you don't know the story it is a tale about a little boy who gets a little too cheeky with his Mom and gets sent to his room without dinner. What happens next is what every little kid imagines; sailing off into the sunset to a far off land where you are the boss. Sounds like fun? Right? but like every little kid finds out there is nothing better than the love and comfort of home and your Mom.

I love this book because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about childhood angst and the love of a Mother and child.

I have not seen the movie that was released recently. Like anything I think books are always better. The world created in your mind and imagination as you read is better than anything created on screen. This is a true classic.

I love the feel of Maurice Sendak's illustrations. His monsters are ghoulish but not too frightening. Sendak's seeming attraction to the forbidden or nightmarish aspects of children's fantasy have made him a subject of controversy. The monsters in the book were actually based on relatives who would come to weekly dinners.  Before Where the Wild Things Are, Sendak was best known for illustrating Else Holmelund Minarik's Little Bear series of books ( Another favourite in our house, espeically the T.V. show)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment