Wednesday, April 21, 2010

WARW: The One-Week Job Project

So I finally finished The One-Week Job Project by Sean Aiken. I have posted twice before as I was reading the book. Now that I am finished I wanted to leave you with some final thoughts about the book. I  was intrigued by the authors inspiration for the project and the book.
Sean Aiken was and still is like a lot of us. He graduated from university and didn't know what he wanted to do once he was done. He didn't know what he wanted to do or be when he grew up. I think it is something that many of us struggle with throughout our lives. Sean decided to venture out on a journey to explore his options and to find out what really makes people happy and content in their jobs and careers. He decided to try to a bunch of different jobs and professions. He took a job a week for every week of the year. The book follows Sean's journey, 52 jobs for 52 weeks.

I found it difficult to get into the book in the beginning. Each job is essentially a chapter in the book, so 52 chapters, plus an epilogue. I felt there was very little flow but once the journey really got going what Sean had to say got more interested and flow a lot better.

I have a few favourite chapters/jobs as I am sure every reader will. I liked week 3, when Sean was a snowshoe guide. Sean got a chance to meet Garry, a man in his 40's who recently moved to Canada to England. I liked what Garry had to say and the lesson that Sean learned. Garry followed his passion even with a huge pay cut. "I'm finally doing a job that I'm passionate about."

Week 7 had a similar lesson to be learned. Sean got a chance to meet Henri, the owner of Lotus Soul Gym in Edmonton, Alberta. Like Garry, Henri came into this field in his later years. He opened the yoga studio when he was 56 years old. In another life, Henri was a partner in a very successful catering company but years of working endless hours left him burnt out. " The catering business was not feeding my soul" Henri told Sean. Even though the yoga studio wasn't making him rich in the pocket in the beginning, it was making him rich in the soul. Henri had found his passion.

One of the other chapters that I enjoyed was week 48, when Sean was a cowboy. Chet is a real, honest to goodness cowboy. As Sean noted, it involves long hours for little pay but Chet didn't care. He loved his job and it provided him with enough money to get by.

I enjoyed the book because it touches on a topic/issue that affects us all. I think everyone wonders about career, job and happiness. I think The One-Week Job Project is something everyone who ever questions whether they are doing what makes them happy or what they are passionate about. It is a journey worth reading.


(*note: I was given a free advanced copy of The One-Week Job Project for review)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment